Disclaimer: This information is only meant for educational purposes, and it not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. For any specific questions or concerns, please talk to a doctor.
Bupropion (Brand name: Zyban®) is a nicotine-free quit aid. It is only available by prescription from a doctor. Bupropion helps you quit smoking by making it feel less desirable which improves your chances of quitting.
Bupropion is a prescription-only drug treatment that works by changing the brain's response to nicotine. It makes smoking less pleasurable and reduces cravings while you work on your smoking habits. Other advantages include:
- It does not contain nicotine.
- It can delay weight gain after quitting for some people.
Bupropion is available as a pill that you take by mouth.
- Start taking bupropion about two weeks before you quit smoking. This builds up the level of medicine in your body
- Continue to smoke as usual while taking bupropion until your quit date
- You can take bupropion with or without food
- The recommended dose of bupropion to help you quit smoking is:
- Days 1-3: Take one 150mg tablet once a day in the morning
- Day 4 to the end of treatment: Take one 150 mg tablet twice a day, once in the morning and once in the early evening (at least 8 hours between doses)
- The recommended length of bupropion therapy is seven to twelve weeks
Stop bupropion and seek medical attention immediately if you experience:
- Depressed mood
- Suicidal thoughts or behaviour
- Rash or hives
- Trouble breathing
This is a summary and does NOT have all possible information about this product. This information does not assure that this product is safe, effective, or appropriate for you. This is not individual medical advice and does not substitute for the advice of your health care professional. Always ask your health care professional for complete information about this product and your specific health needs.